Grinding noise in engine on start-up! - Page 2 - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums
TerrainForum.com is the premier GMC Terrain Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #11

I have the same issue. I bought my 2011 in February and it started about a month later. I had to take it in for routine service this weekend, so I mentioned it to the dealer. His response was that "GM Knows about it". He then put my information into a folder that had a few others with the same complaint and said he would contact me when there is a fix to the problem. It is such an awful noise and I really hope that they can figure it out soon!
@fredsterrain, is the fix they performed still working, and do you know the recall # or a way I could tell my dealer to look it up?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #12

did they fix the noise? this noise is driving me crazy... I now stay in the house and start the car before going out so I dont have to hear it....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #13

The latest recall has to be done correctly, or the issue will come back..My Terrain has been in the shop about 6 times and several repairs..but still startup rattle..My vehicle was not under the recall list, though it has the issue.

Ive decided to trade in the 2011 for a 2012 with the V6..

Search the internet or other forums..you will see this issue is happening to alot of people and GM really doesnt have an answer yet.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrusprod View Post
The latest recall has to be done correctly, or the issue will come back..My Terrain has been in the shop about 6 times and several repairs..but still startup rattle..My vehicle was not under the recall list, though it has the issue.

Ive decided to trade in the 2011 for a 2012 with the V6..

Search the internet or other forums..you will see this issue is happening to alot of people and GM really doesnt have an answer yet.
Not on the recall list but you have the issue? Thats weird.
So maybe there are more vehicles with the problem like yours.

The trade in was a smart call, might as well let the dealership deal with the issue
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #15

I am having this issue as well. Started having it a few months ago and was initially when I started it from overnight; however, now it rattles when it has been parked for 2 or so hours. I have taken my 2011 Terrain to the Dealer 3 times now and each time I hear "It's normal" or that they cannot duplicate. Tonight I saw online that there is now a recall for affected vehicles, #11195A....anyone heard anything?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytrain1 View Post
I had a brand new 2011 terrain and has the same noise problem. It happens with 300 MILES ONLY!!!!!. I think made a mistake to get into GMC. I had a Saturn for 4 years and never visit the dealer. What a shame from GM to discontinue this line.
Yes Saturns were great as well. However, I'm sure some folks out there had problems with a Saturn and went back to something else. It all depends on which one you pull off the lot. Now that the recall is out, the problem will hopefully be fixed.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #17

Default cam actuators

I have owned my Terrain for 1.5 years and have complained on a number of occasions about 2 pressing issues. The 1st being the engine knock and 2nd issue, the crappy 6 speed transmission. I have constantly been rebuffed by the dealership from where I purchased the vehicle but finally found another GM dealer who identified one of the two issues and was advised about a recall regarding cam actuators. So today I had the chains, guides, tensioner, actuators and solenoid valves replaced and the engine is purring like a kitten now. However the crappy 6 speed transmission still heavily clunks down during a d-acceleration on the gas petal. Apparently, there is no fix to this issue. Has anyone else gone through this experience? Frustrated as heck!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyguyz View Post
I have owned my Terrain for 1.5 years and have complained on a number of occasions about 2 pressing issues. The 1st being the engine knock and 2nd issue, the crappy 6 speed transmission. I have constantly been rebuffed by the dealership from where I purchased the vehicle but finally found another GM dealer who identified one of the two issues and was advised about a recall regarding cam actuators. So today I had the chains, guides, tensioner, actuators and solenoid valves replaced and the engine is purring like a kitten now. However the crappy 6 speed transmission still heavily clunks down during a d-acceleration on the gas petal. Apparently, there is no fix to this issue. Has anyone else gone through this experience? Frustrated as heck!!!
I am glad to hear that the dealer was willing to assist you. I would be happy to look into your additional concerns as well. Feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GMC Customer Service.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #19

I had the cold start problem in a 2011. After many trips for repairs to the dealership including recall PIP4716A and 22,000 miles, GMC bought the car back and I replaced it with
a 2013 Terrain. I was very happy with the way GMC handled the buy back as I came out
the winner. Hope GMC has the problem solved, as I only have 2,000 miles on the 2013.
I will keep the Forum posted as time and mileage progress!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #20

Congratulations on your purchase RanBurVette! Let me know if any questions arise. Thank you.

Tricia, GMC Customer Service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement