GMC Terrain Forum banner

Rear vision camera

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mahood 
#1 ·
My 2010 Terrain had a perfectly working rear vision camera until last week. Now it has considerable glare and sun distortion (sun spot and white light vertically on the screen). GM Service Manual #PI0385 says that this is "a normal operational characteristic." Reading about thee automotive fish eye lenses shows that the glare and sun line are prevented by proper alignment and a lens relective coating. Are terrain owners accepting GMs statement? Does anyone have a solution to a problem that just suddenly appears after 2 years?

#2 ·
A camera, like a human eye, will not be able to stare at the sun without some glare. It depends where the sun is according to your car, the time of day, the season of year... Maybe you never noticed this effect because you were backing up with the sun high or when it was cloudy?

#3 ·
Rear Vision Camera

I just returned from the dealership where we compared my Terrain's display with that of another. The other Terrain's display is darker while mine emits a definite glare. Does anyone know if a camera lens can deteriorate or its reflective coating can degrade?
I am a creature of habit so I definately notice the increase in brightness.

#5 ·
Update on the Rear Vision Camera

After good communication between GM Customer Service and the local service manager, we agreed to replace the camera because the problem only appeared after 2 years. The new camera has solved the glare problem but the strong vertical white line remains. GM maintains this as normal operation! How so? Has anyone else experienced this problem? The service bulletin covers GM products from 2008 through 2012. What is being done to correct this annoying problem?

#7 ·
RR-Rain, :) you are onto something -- I will certainly discuss this with GM as I think they should be vigorously addressing this problem -- I feel that GM - Customer Assistance is ignoring me.:confused:
My own experiment consisted of putting black tape on the minimal amount of chrome on the rear of the Terrain -- the white vertical line remained. My next expeiment was to create a lens hood like that on the end of a DSL camera lens. A promising result; then a cloud blocked the sun!

Another cause may be a failure of the CCD sensor. There are three areas that technicians at GM need to talk to us about -- the lens, the sensors, and the receiving unit.

Happy to hear comments from those affected or not as I think this failure of the camera will occur to everyone with 2008-2012 GM vehicles over time and for safety reasons the rear vision camera is important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.