What brand of oil would you use for your Terrain? - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Default What brand of oil would you use for your Terrain?

Everyone has their preferred brand of oil. So I wanted to find out what is your favorite brand or what brand would you use and possibly why you chose that brand?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

ive always used mobil 1. whether its conventional or synthetic. i always stick to mobil 1. never had a problem with before so no reason why i should change.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Banned

I have been using Castrol ever since I started doing my own oil changes. Never read a bad review about them and its worked really well for me so far. I try and get the German made Castrol as its a much better grade than the North American made Castrol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #4

I used to use Royal Purple but I heard bad things about them plus it caused a knock in my engine. Now I use Castrol too.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

I have always used Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my vehicles. I also have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV with 135000 miles on it and it still runs like new and uses no oil between changes. I also change my oil and filter every 5000 miles. Plan to do the same with my new Terrain.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
I have always used Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my vehicles. I also have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV with 135000 miles on it and it still runs like new and uses no oil between changes. I also change my oil and filter every 5000 miles. Plan to do the same with my new Terrain.
Ever tried Castrol? I heard their Castrol Syntec oil is pretty good. Some say as good as Mobil 1 full Synthetic.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #7

never had a problem with before so no reason why i should change.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #8
DPK
Super Moderator

In the past 35 years I've always used Castrol..back then all they had was conventional GTX..Now I use the synthetic EDGE..Never had any engine problems.

I have a 2015 V6 (3.6L)...
I've done two oil changes now...I pre-fill my oil filter first before I install it.. I use the WIX/57502XP filter, because I also use Castrol Synthetic Edge oil,w/Dexos (5w30)..

Anyway..I put in a total of 6.5 qts and that brings the level right up to the top of my hash marks on the dip-Stick..This is after a few minutes of running, then I shut it off and check it within about 10 minutes of running.

Four Ball Wear (ASTM D-4172)

The Four Ball Wear Test determines the wear protection properties of a lubricant. Three metal balls are clamped together and covered with the test lubricant, while a rotating fourth ball is pressed against them in sliding contact. This contact typically produces a wear scar, which is measured and recorded. The smaller the average wear scar, the better the wear protection provided by the lubricant.
As shown in the graph, AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil produced the smallest wear scar of the tested lubricants...

Next best was Castrol

Last edited by DPK; 08-04-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement