Do you use any oil additives like oil stabilizers? - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Default Do you use any oil additives like oil stabilizers?

Seeing as I was just asking in a previous thread about your favorite brand of oil. I got really curious about oil additives. Have you ever used it? Do you like it? Does it actually make a difference? So many questions......lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #2

ive heard of people swearing by lucas oil oil stablizers. but personally i dont have any first hand experience with them nor do i plan on using any oil additives.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Banned

I used it before.....made my oil too thin. I started hearing a knock in my engine so I did an oil change with fresh oil and the knock went away. Never gonna use it again. Not worth the risk of damaging your motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

Thankfully I asked you guys before I even decided to use it. I would've just wasted my money on nothing.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #5

When you have a vehicle that is new and on good synth oil there is no need to add anything.

For the most additives are great if you are trying to correct or mask an issue the easy way. Things like a sticky lifter in an old engine that has been setting things like Marvel Mystery oil will help but that would not mean I would put it into a new engine.

Use good oil, change it based on the DIC GM has given you and stick to the recomended weight.

GM is putting Mobil one in most of the new cars and I think they are using it in the Terrain too. Mobil is rated the new GM rating and is on the recomended list by GM. It is not as expensive as it used to be.

Keep in mind additives are like fix a flat You would not put it in a tire that is not leaking would you?

There are a lot of opinions out there. But the one that counts is GM's. They do not recomend any additives and if they had something that they felt would help them in their 5 year 100.000 mile warranty they would recomend it. Syn Oil is the main thing they recomend and 5W30 so stick with it.

There is a lot of snake oil out there some of it will not hurt but some will. I have seen many people kill an engine with things like Slick 50 etc.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
DPK
Super Moderator

I use Castrol (w/Dexos) Edge..As said below, no need to add anything else..Just change your oil and filter at least every 5000 miles or less and you will have a strong solid engine for as long as you drive it.

Since the engine in mine is Direct Injection and there is some concerns about carbon build up over time...I use a Marvel Mystery Oil (4oz per 10Gal) In the gasoline...Keeps the upper part of the engine pristine.

Last edited by DPK; 07-11-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement