Engine Noise - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #1

Default Engine Noise

We have a 2012 Terrain with the 4cyl EcoTech engine. I am actually a Quality Engineering Manager at a competitors Engine Plant, and inherited this vehicle through marrying my wife. If I had designed or built this engine I would be thoroughly embarrassed. It is noisy beyond belief. My work beater car has 270,000 miles on it and will put this EcoTech powertrain to shame! It uses well over 3 quarts of oil in 2000 miles and is a total disappointment to an otherwise good vehicle.

The dealer has replaced the chain tensioners and the cam phaser activation solenoids, only to have the noise return in a month. I have also removed the activation solenoids, cleaned them and reinstalled with no change.

I'm tired of dealing with the local dealers who want to do an oil economy study, and even then I'm worried that the new shortblock would be ruled to a "reman" assembly, something I know first hand is lower quality than even the OEM engine that I have right now. We have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, but the hassle hasn't been worth the warranty. I have personally intervened with these types of issues with our engine and always keep the customers best interest in mind. I'm not getting the same reciprocation from GM.

Has anyone else fought these issues with their vehicle?

-Can't wait to get a Jeep again!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #2

Have you been in contact with customer assistance regarding your concern? I would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN and dealer name. Feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GMC Customer Service.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #3

Try the belt tensioner, test bearing with bench with belting on. Otherwise check the belting for crack, cut/torn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Engineer View Post
We have a 2012 Terrain with the 4cyl EcoTech engine. I am actually a Quality Engineering Manager at a competitors Engine Plant, and inherited this vehicle through marrying my wife. If I had designed or built this engine I would be thoroughly embarrassed. It is noisy beyond belief. My work beater car has 270,000 miles on it and will put this EcoTech powertrain to shame! It uses well over 3 quarts of oil in 2000 miles and is a total disappointment to an otherwise good vehicle.

The dealer has replaced the chain tensioners and the cam phaser activation solenoids, only to have the noise return in a month. I have also removed the activation solenoids, cleaned them and reinstalled with no change.

I'm tired of dealing with the local dealers who want to do an oil economy study, and even then I'm worried that the new shortblock would be ruled to a "reman" assembly, something I know first hand is lower quality than even the OEM engine that I have right now. We have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, but the hassle hasn't been worth the warranty. I have personally intervened with these types of issues with our engine and always keep the customers best interest in mind. I'm not getting the same reciprocation from GM.

Has anyone else fought these issues with their vehicle?

-Can't wait to get a Jeep again!

My wife drives a 2010 model that has had a loud clicking noise since day one. I thought that it was due to the 4 cylinder engine's design, but we took the vehicle in for an oil change recently and the technician pointed out that there was a pulley located near the bottom of the engine compartment that was loose and seemed to be the source of the noise when I was looking at the part with the tech while he had it on the lift in the shop. I still need to pull the trigger on getting it fixed to verify if that is the real source of the noise though.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

Yeah, well before anybody gets on a Jeep high horse, before we bought our Terrain, I test drove a 2013 Jeep Compass with just 19,000 miles with its 4cyl. engine. I could feel the engine vibrate like it was running on three cylinders before even pulling out of the dealer's lot. This couldn't get out of its own way and it was a squeeky pile of junk. So Mopar doesn't have anything to brag about either.

However I'm not keen on the Terrian 4cyl, either and after driving one with the 3.6L V6, we passed on the four and bought one with the V6.

Upon further review, I have discovered the 3.6L in addition to the Ecotech 4 has timing chain issues, especially if the oil isn't changed sooner than 5,000 miles and if the higher cost dexos spec oil isn't used. I'm not happy about that so now I am not a happy Terrain customer.

So the Terrain/Equinox doesn't have much to tout as well.

Frankly, the old reliable Series III 3800 V6 puts the Mopar or Ecotech, or VVT 3.6 V6 engines to shame.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #6
DPK
Super Moderator

When looking to buy the Terrain I also looked at the Acadia..but it was too big for my needs, the Terrain was a perfect..

I did insist on the 301HP VVT 3.6 V6 engine though..Pretty Damm fast little car..It has injector noise when after a run and at idle with all quiet in cabin..but tolerable...
But the same engine is used in the Cadillac SRX, and CTS..so it works for me in the Terrain just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement