Premium Fuel for the 2.0 Liter Turbo Engine - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #1

Default Premium Fuel for the 2.0 Liter Turbo Engine

I was a bit surprised on my first fill-up to see inside the fuel filler door a decal that recommended the use of premium octane fuel. When I first moved to Wyoming I noticed like all the Rocky Mountain states, it was common for premium fuel (regardless of brand) to be 91 octane and regular to be 85 octane. The owners manual strongly suggests the use of 93 octane in the 2.0 liter turbo engine. I was told because of the altitude where I live (6100 feet above sea level), it was not necessary to use 93 in any vehicle and 91 will work just fine. When I had a 2008 Corvette (now sold) I would use 91 octane (93 recommended) with no adverse effect as that was the highest octane available at most gas stations. Since I drive my 2018 Terrain much more than I drove my Corvette, the use of premium fuel at ~ 50 cents more than regular (85 octane in the Rocky mountain states) can become expensive. Does anyone else have experience with fuel grades on their 2.0 liter turbo engine?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

Default Manual is confusing

I am taking delivery of a 2018 2.0 engine in a few days. Reading the owner's manual online it says that I can use any fuel that is approved for California. And since I live in California, that sounds like I can use regular gas. It does says it will run better and get better mileage on premium fuel, but doesn't exactly prohibit me from using the 87 octane fuel. Leave it to them to be wishy-washy on what to use.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
DPK
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by denandannie View Post
I am taking delivery of a 2018 2.0 engine in a few days. Reading the owner's manual online it says that I can use any fuel that is approved for California. And since I live in California, that sounds like I can use regular gas. It does says it will run better and get better mileage on premium fuel, but doesn't exactly prohibit me from using the 87 octane fuel. Leave it to them to be wishy-washy on what to use.
I can assure you 87 octane will be fine...However in all my non-premium cars past and present..to be sure I can't go wrong..I use the middle grade 89 octane..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I can assure you 87 octane will be fine...However in all my non-premium cars past and present..to be sure I can't go wrong..I use the middle grade 89 octane..
I am told that because of the altitude in the Rocky Mountain states (6100 feet in Cheyenne, WY) 85 octane is the norm. Generally, I use the mid grade, which is 87 or 88 in this part of the country, depending on brand of gasoline. There are few top-tier branded gas stations in Cheyenne and most are Exxon-Mobile. It's not the best place to live if your favorite brand is Shell (mine) or other top-tier brands. I have experienced no adverse effects whichever brand or octane I have used. I do know my 2008 Corvette (now sold) was slower here than at sea-level. There's a lot of nice things living in the Rocky Mountain states, buying gasoline isn't one of them, although it costs less than in the coast (east and west) states.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
DPK
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018+Terrain View Post
I am told that because of the altitude in the Rocky Mountain states (6100 feet in Cheyenne, WY) 85 octane is the norm. Generally, I use the mid grade, which is 87 or 88 in this part of the country, depending on brand of gasoline. There are few top-tier branded gas stations in Cheyenne and most are Exxon-Mobile. It's not the best place to live if your favorite brand is Shell (mine) or other top-tier brands. I have experienced no adverse effects whichever brand or octane I have used. I do know my 2008 Corvette (now sold) was slower here than at sea-level. There's a lot of nice things living in the Rocky Mountain states, buying gasoline isn't one of them, although it costs less than in the coast (east and west) states.
Now that you mention it, that makes sense when talking about oxygen content in the air..which is lower at higher altitudes..so you do want a fuel that burns easier and more rapidly, as lower octane fuels do...

thanks for the enlightenment
Old 05-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #6

Default Cheaper is fine

Having just purchased a 2018, and living in California where the price of gas is more than my home mortgage, I am using the 87 octane blend and have not noticed any difference in performance or mileage.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denandannie View Post
Having just purchased a 2018, and living in California where the price of gas is more than my home mortgage, I am using the 87 octane blend and have not noticed any difference in performance or mileage.
I spoke to a friend who's the shop foreman at a Chevy dealer in Pennsylvania where I lived and bought several cars from the dealership. He said at 6100 feet above sea level, 87 octane is fine. That's good because at about $2.65 a gallon, it's a fair price. Premium is about another 25 cents a gallon here in Wyoming.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #8

Great information. . .
Old 04-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #9

NA 4 cylinder here.

At $3/gal, I'll be using the lowest grade stuff I can find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement