Trailer hitch with brake controller - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums
Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default Trailer hitch with brake controller

I know the Terrain as a 3500 lb capacity and we are thinking of using it to pull a one-horse trailer which would place the load at or under 3500 lbs. Obviously, pulling that capacity requires a hitch package apply brake pressure to the trailer brakes and likely introduce a transmission cooler.

I am curious if this is possible on the Terrain and if then the hitch would have to be switched out for a 2" one instead.

Thoughts?

Paul
brunp is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Default

I have a similar question but im not pulling a horse trailer. I'm pulling the type of trailer you see landscaping companies using. total weight for my load should be about 2500-3000
rocky_terrain is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default

So I figured out this much. The stock hitch receiver should be capable of towing the 3500 lbs. Why else would GMC advertise a 3500 lbs towing capacity if the hitch accessory could not tow it. The tow-ball accessory I purchased has that capability on the sticker, so that should not be a problem.

Now, with the brake controller....yep, it has to be installed. Asked the dealer, it will be about a $150 for the wiring and about 2 hours worth of labour.

I will have to ask if the transmission has to be outfitted with an additional cooler though if you are towing something with greater capacity.

Paul
__________________
Current Cars:
2010 GMC Terrain
2007 Subaru Impreza
1998 BMW 328iS

Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i
2007 Saab 9-3ss AERO
2004 Saab 9-3ss Linear
2003 PT Cruiser
2001 Volvo S40
1990 Honda Accord
brunp is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunp View Post
So I figured out this much. The stock hitch receiver should be capable of towing the 3500 lbs. Why else would GMC advertise a 3500 lbs towing capacity if the hitch accessory could not tow it. The tow-ball accessory I purchased has that capability on the sticker, so that should not be a problem.

Now, with the brake controller....yep, it has to be installed. Asked the dealer, it will be about a $150 for the wiring and about 2 hours worth of labour.

I will have to ask if the transmission has to be outfitted with an additional cooler though if you are towing something with greater capacity.

Paul
I see the transmission cooler as "insurance" for your transmission. Seriously, I think you should get it even it the load doesn't go over what the Terrain calls for. Better to be safe than sorry.

Also if you damage the transmission while towing, the dealer might not cover it under warranty or anything and say it the damage was caused by "your own negligence"
jimmy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I see the transmission cooler as "insurance" for your transmission. Seriously, I think you should get it even it the load doesn't go over what the Terrain calls for. Better to be safe than sorry.

Also if you damage the transmission while towing, the dealer might not cover it under warranty or anything and say it the damage was caused by "your own negligence"
We got the brake controller installed and from what the dealer told me, if we stay within the towing capacity (which we will), we don't need any additional cooling on the transmission. I then consider anything that occurs within warranty to be a warranty issue and not caused by my own negligence.

Paul
__________________
Current Cars:
2010 GMC Terrain
2007 Subaru Impreza
1998 BMW 328iS

Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i
2007 Saab 9-3ss AERO
2004 Saab 9-3ss Linear
2003 PT Cruiser
2001 Volvo S40
1990 Honda Accord
brunp is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunp View Post
We got the brake controller installed and from what the dealer told me, if we stay within the towing capacity (which we will), we don't need any additional cooling on the transmission. I then consider anything that occurs within warranty to be a warranty issue and not caused by my own negligence.

Paul
smartest way to go about this!

have you used your terrain to do the towing you were going to do? and how did it go if you did?



Terrain is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrain View Post
smartest way to go about this!

have you used your terrain to do the towing you were going to do? and how did it go if you did?
yep, we picked up the trailer without issue. The trailer ended up being a 7-pin, not the 6-pin that the seller had mentioned to me. He said....oh, the trailer is the big 6-pin, you got the small 6-pin. Well, he wasn't the brightest tool in the shed because there is no such thing as a big 6-pin. There are 6 pin's around the outside and a 7th used as the center pin. This is the new standard for RV's and what not. So, we ended up going to Canadian tire, using wire-taps to at least get the lights working. We didn't really need to use the brakes for an empty trailer.

Got home and are now getting the proper wiring harness and brakes sorted. It is a good thing I took the trailer in with the vehicle as the brakes didn't appear to work on the trailer. So, now we got to fix that....

Joys of horse-trailer ownership. :-)

Paul
__________________
Current Cars:
2010 GMC Terrain
2007 Subaru Impreza
1998 BMW 328iS

Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i
2007 Saab 9-3ss AERO
2004 Saab 9-3ss Linear
2003 PT Cruiser
2001 Volvo S40
1990 Honda Accord
brunp is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.