Roof rack - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #1

Default Roof rack

Question for those that bought their Terrain new from the dealer....

Does GMC offer a roof rack for the Terrain?

If i wanted a Terrain roof rack from the dealer, will they charge me an arm and a leg for it?

If i go with a aftermarket roof rack for the Terrain what brands should I stay away from?

I'm looking to spend no more than $350 on a roof rack.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

The Terrain does have some sort of factory roof rack that does come with it, for a pretty generic purpose.

It wont be able to hold skis or etc.

But a great brand you can trust for a roof rack is Thule, they make great quality roof racks and you can choose which one fits your needs best.

http://www.thule.com/Language%20Selector.aspx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-terrain View Post
The Terrain does have some sort of factory roof rack that does come with it, for a pretty generic purpose.

It wont be able to hold skis or etc.

But a great brand you can trust for a roof rack is Thule, they make great quality roof racks and you can choose which one fits your needs best.

http://www.thule.com/Language%20Selector.aspx

Is that Terrain roof rack standard on all models? When you say generic purposes do you mean doing things like carrying roof top bags and roof top carriers? got a picture?

I as also told to check out Thule, now that rings a bell. I believe i saw a display of Thule products at the part store.

sorry for all the questions dude, i don't mean to sound like a cop and interrogate you on roof racks hahaha. it just that i don't know much about them. so i figured this forum would be the best place to ask about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #4

No problem dude , welcome to ask question and help any time!

Thules a pretty big brand for roof racks and they carry , almost every kind of roof rack you need.

All it really is, is a standard cross bar roof rack...

For your mattress moving needs....
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #5

I bought a SLI Terrain last week. Its nice with the standards features, but unfortunately the roof rack is not standard. In order to get the roof rack has to jump to the next model as a package that cost almost $2,000 more. Almost all competitors include the rack as an standard feature. Now it is not easy to find the base rails after market with a reasonable price. The dealer ask me almost $1,000 for the original. Thules does not have the base rails. If a member could help me I will appreciate. thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #6

if you just need a temporarily roof rack for ski's and other things you could use temporary strap on roof racks, which are a huge buck for their bang surprisingly!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-terrain View Post
if you just need a temporarily roof rack for ski's and other things you could use temporary strap on roof racks, which are a huge buck for their bang surprisingly!
that's actually a good idea. sounds very cost effective.

but where can we get these and how much are we looking to spend?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #8

Default Available for 2012's?

I am considering purchasing a new 2012 terrain without a roof rack, the SLE1 model. The dealer told me one could not be put on this model because there is not support for the roof rack for the SLE-1 trim level. Does anyone know if this is true or the dealer just trying to get me to purchase a more expensive one?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #9

FALSE!
The studs to mount the roof rack are neatly concealed under the channel moulding on your roof. When I inquired about a roof rack, the dealership told me that even if he could order one, all the required parts would cost almost $1200. Further, he said that mounting it was a big job with all the modifications and it would be almost $300 to mount it. WRONG! Just another dealer lie!
Check out my install video on youtube. Search "install roof rack chevy equinox gmc terrain" you will see what I mean. It's a joke how easy it is.
BTW, I was able to find 2 pristine chrome racks at a local dealership. I still have one left if you are interested.
Take care.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

Default But did the 2012 model's change?

I understand that it's available for the 2011 models but I just wondered if they did change it for 2012 so people couldn't put their own racks on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement