Used wheels for Terrain? BMW? - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #1

Default Used wheels for Terrain? BMW?

Looking for winter rims or mags for the new GMC Terrain. We know that the bolt pattern for the Terrain and some other new GM vehicles is now 5x120mm. Most other cars on the market use 5x114.3mm or 4 bolts, making it difficult to find compatible wheels on the pre-owned market. Most universal 5 bolts aftermarket wheels are 5x100/5x114.3. This may sound like GM did it on purpose.

However BMW has been the only manufacturer to use 5x120mm wheels across all their lineup for a long time. There are a lot of used BMW wheels for sale out there on Kijiji for good prices. Also some newer Acura cars as well as Honda Oddysey and Pilot have this bolt pattern. There is a useful list for all cars here: www.fastwheels.ca/applications/app_guide_en.pdf

Having little experience in adapting wheels,
I'd like to know if anyone got success in installing BMW wheels on a Terrain? What hardware is necessary, as the lug nuts seems narrower and the hub center bore larger? Is it easy to find new lug bolts and replace them on the Terrain? How about hub rings? Would a 17x7.5" or 17x8" wheel fit on the Terrain, or would it collide with something? How about the offset?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #2

From reading other forums where guys have tried to mount BMW wheels onto other cars with the same bolt pattern, I believe some had issues with the center bore and needed a hubcentric ring to use that BMW wheel on non-bmw vehicles.

personally i wouldn't put BMW wheels on a GMC, i just think it would look weird. Also they're for winter so I would just go to the local automotive parts store and get some cheap black steel wheels and call it a day!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

They may be a 5x120 bolt pattern, but the offset and center bore will likely be much, much different. Also, BMW rims are expensive. If you really must want an alloy rim, then purchase a set off TireRack.com. There are many, many nice options. I might want to replace my summer mags with a BBS CF rims, if I end up with superfluous amounts of money that I don't know what to do with. :-)

Paul
1998 BMW 328iS

Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i
2007 Saab 9-3ss AERO
2004 Saab 9-3ss Linear
2003 PT Cruiser
2001 Volvo S40
1990 Honda Accord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

I found used BMW mags for 250$, 7.5" width, 40mm offset. Center bore is larger, so hub-centric rings are available. They fit perfectly on the car.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLed View Post
I found used BMW mags for 250$, 7.5" width, 40mm offset. Center bore is larger, so hub-centric rings are available. They fit perfectly on the car.
So im guessing you got them mounted on your Terrain? If so lets see some pic's! I was always curious of how BMW wheels would look on an American vehicle like the Terrain. Lets see!
Old 02-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLed View Post
BMW wheels on a GM, hmm.... lets see some pictures!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #7

I would be interested in some pictures too. I can get a handle on some BMW rims, mind you, I assume you would replace the center caps.

Paul
1998 BMW 328iS

Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i
2007 Saab 9-3ss AERO
2004 Saab 9-3ss Linear
2003 PT Cruiser
2001 Volvo S40
1990 Honda Accord
Old 02-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #8

They may be a 5x120 bolt pattern, but the offset and center bore will likely be much, much different.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #9

The offset can be a killer. I've got a GTO (late model) and it has the same 5x120 bolt pattern. I've seen plenty of people use BMW wheels on them, but the stock setup has an odd offset so it can make it difficult to find a wheel that will fit nice without some sort of rubbing issue. The Terrain shouldn't have fender clearance problems, but that's not the only concern.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:22 AM   #10

for used and new car parts and car accessories on affordable rates please visit AM Car Parts | New and Used Car Parts and Car Accessories Online

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement