do you fill you tires with nitrogen? - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Default do you fill you tires with nitrogen?

i keep hearing about people putting nitrogen in their car and how its a million times better than regular air that you get at the gas station. i was wondering is it worth the $20/avg that shops charge to fill up your tires?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #2

Here's a pretty informative article about the truths and myths about putting nitrogen in your tires. Any questions you have should be answered in the article.

The Truth About Filling Your Tires with Nitrogen | The Truth About Cars
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #3

From what i know, now a days the air compressors are 76% nitrogen.... i may be wrong... that just what I have herd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #4

i just read that whole post.

nitrogen tires are useless unless you actually need them for the extra performance.

T.awd is right air is made up of 78% nitrogen.. so whats the point !
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #5

I Still do not believe there is any serious gain in filling your tiers with nitrogen. Other than the minor factors that you may become a speed demon on a highway one day, or that you'll keep your tiers for the rest of your life....

Whats the point?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #6

what i know is the air compressors are 76% nitrogen now a days...
Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #7

Nitrogen is great racing as often teams will adjust a car with air pressure and with Nitrogen there is less gain in pressure than with air that has moisture. But on the street for the most it is more a thing that while it may be better for some small reasons it will make little difference in any part of your life or driving.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #8

One important thing to remember is that our Terrains and many other new vehicles on the road these days have TPMS's and just having regular compressed air which also has moisture can corrode the TPMS. I'm sure we all know how pricey it can get to replace one of those. For that reason, Nitrogen is used, as it wont corrode the TPMS.

And there are more reasons too.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #9

Waste of money!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #10

i work in the aircraft industry and we use nitrogen on our aircraft tires and vehicles. its used on the aircraft tires to keep ice crystals from forming in the tire at high altitudes and it helps keep corrosion from forming in the rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement