2011 GMC Terrain SLE 2 V6 AWD Coolant smell - GMC Terrain Forum : GMC Terrain Forums

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2018, 03:30 AM   #1

Default 2011 GMC Terrain SLE 2 V6 AWD Coolant smell

Hey guys, first off I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong spot. I just purchased a 2011 Terrain SLE 2 V6 AWD from the Chevy dealer last week. I absolutely love this car, I parked it Sunday and went to Albany for work. I got back last night got in my car and went home. On the way home at a light I noticed a very slight smoke/haze coming from the front right (passenger side) of my hood. I figured it was the vehicles exhaust in front of me and didnít give it another thought. A few miles later my TPMS light came on saying left rear was at 20psi. I pulled into a gas station took all my caps off to check the air and when I got to the front passenger tire I noticed it smelled like coolant. I popped the hood and looked around. There was no splash or residue on the hoods interior nothing noticeable around the radiator or hoses but when looking down the passenger side of the engine compartment I noticed a small amount of what looked like condensation. The longest drive I have taken since buying the car last week was roughly 2 hours of steep back country roads going to Letchworth state park. I have never gotten a warning light, it never gets to the middle of the temp gauge it has been staying steady at the line right before the middle mark on the gauge. So I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has dealt with this previously or knows about this issue. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
DPK
Super Moderator

This is a classic symptom of a failing water pump...Keep an eye on the coolant reservoir level and add the Orange Dex-cool 50/50 mix as needed until you can get it looked at (SOON)

PS: Note to all..NEVER use tap water in the coolant system..always use DISTILLED water if you mix your own from concentrate.

BTW: Welcome and if you will, add your location to your profile.

Last edited by DPK; 03-07-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #3

You just bought this car...not sure what warranty came with this used car ? As mentioned get it back to that dealer asap for sure. The sooner it is back the better the odds are of getting a "free" repair I think ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement