GMC Terrain Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 SLT2, 4-cylinder, FWD. I have discovered something my dealer has never heard of and knows nothing about, but says it must be normal.
With the engine off, hot or cold, about 15 seconds after opening any door, rear hatch, or hood, a "clicking" sound starts up under the hood and lasts several seconds. The same thing happens again after you close the door, rear hatch, or hood! I have traced the sound with my automotive stethoscope, and found that it is coming from the front transmission cover where their is an electrical connector near the left side of the cover.

This is not causing any problem, but I would really like to know what it is and if, in fact, it IT IS normal. If it is not, I need to get it repaired soon, as the car is still covered under GM's Certified Pre-Owned vehicle warranty.

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: "Clicking" noise under hood when doors are opened!!

If anyone out there is interested, I finally got an answer from my dealer after he called GMC. They were very aware of this "clicking", as they had several other questions about it.

It turns out that it IS coming from the transmission control panel which is located right behind the front cover where the electrical connection is. Believe it or not, they (GMC) do not know why it does it, but all the six speed trannys (at least on the four cylinders) do it. I listened with my stethoscope to both a 2013 and a 2014 and could hear it clearly. The reason my dealer had never heard of this is because it has not yet caused any operational problems or failures, so GMC has never issued a service bulletin or recall on it. They assured me that if it did cause any problem, or even if I wan't it replaced now, it will be fully covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile drive train warranty.

Just thought someone might like to know.

Terry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found your post after noticing the same issue today. Did you ever have any additional problems from this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My new 2017 does it too, I think it's normal sounds like relays turning on and off probably run the interior lights etc

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I haven't noticed it on mine..Might be something inherent with the 4 cylinder version..Probably normal wake up routine for the car's electronics.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Hey Mack, welcome

How you like it?..I really like the feel and sportiness of this car..The V6 is awesome for power..a real sleeper until I blow the doors off most cars.:D

I'm looking to get the exhaust tweaked to make it sound better with the muscle it has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does it to whenever I park the car. 2017 / 4cyl. I push down on the car and give it a little shake and it clicks again. I assumed it was some kind of suspension stabilization thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts