GMC Terrain Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new member here. My vehicle is a 2015 GMC Terrain Denali L4 with 32000 odometer miles.

I have a "Service Side Detection System" message appearing in my DIC. Problem diagnosed by my local GMC dealer as a faulty electronic module. The diagnostic charge was $80.00. The same GMC dealer quoted an $875.00 price to R&R the module.

Has anyone experienced this failed module situation? Would like to know if this is a common problem. What did you do?
Have it repaired at the dealer/independent shop?
Do nothing and deal with resetting the message each time?
Replace the module yourself?

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, new member here. My vehicle is a 2015 GMC Terrain Denali L4 with 32000 odometer miles.

I have a "Service Side Detection System" message appearing in my DIC. Problem diagnosed by my local GMC dealer as a faulty electronic module. The diagnostic charge was $80.00. The same GMC dealer quoted an $875.00 price to R&R the module.

Has anyone experienced this failed module situation? Would like to know if this is a common problem. What did you do?
Have it repaired at the dealer/independent shop?
Do nothing and deal with resetting the message each time?
Replace the module yourself?

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, we have the same 2015 Terrain Denali and the exact same problem. Being served at GM now and yes same quote. We asked them to pull the fuse to see if this will save us paying $1K for a fix that will not last long. (also looking to change this winter whip to an EV very soon) Clearly the modules are in a terrible place and just rot out every 2 - 4 years. The drivers side will go next. Clearly a black eye on certain models for GM. The fuse is the "backup assist fuse" and we will see if the system allows driving without the fuse and no other issues. It does take out the side detection AND the backup assist. BTW: we also find with the side detection failure we have the side mirror "detection light" staying on constantly (esp.) in winter and it drains our battery)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, we have the same 2015 Terrain Denali and the exact same problem. Being served at GM now and yes same quote. We asked them to pull the fuse to see if this will save us paying $1K for a fix that will not last long. (also looking to change this winter whip to an EV very soon) Clearly the modules are in a terrible place and just rot out every 2 - 4 years. The drivers side will go next. Clearly a black eye on certain models for GM. The fuse is the "backup assist fuse" and we will see if the system allows driving without the fuse and no other issues. It does take out the side detection AND the backup assist. BTW: we also find with the side detection failure we have the side mirror "detection light" staying on constantly (esp.) in winter and it drains our battery)
Hello - I have a 2014 Terrain Denali and have these same issues. The same sequence of events would happen:
-Both lights illuminated upon start-up/systems check; the passenger side light stayed on
-DIC message stating "Service Side Detection System"
-Light stayed on even when the car was off
-Both lights eventually stopped illuminating at all
-Now I have "Cross Traffic Alert Disabled" and "Side Detection System Disabled" in the DIC along with "Service Side Detection System" upon start up
-I have to hit the clear button at the bottom of the dash/button stack 3 times to get it to display the normal screen while driving.

I crawled underneath the rear bumper and disconnected and removed the module from its plastic clips. I cleaned out the contacts in the module and the wired plug in hopes this would resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it did not. It's clearly a design flaw based on where the modules are housed - in the rear bumper directly behind the rear wheels with no protection from the elements. I live in the midwest and we have the full spectrum of seasons, including hard winters with salt and brine to treat the roads.

The Denali models of this body style are relatively rare and were initially the only trim line to initially have the Blind Zone Alert. After the 2016 refresh, the system was added to other trim levels. Being that there are relatively few models that were manufactured with this system, I wonder if this is why there is so little info on the web regarding this issue. There are plenty of posts mentioning this problem with Cadillac, Buick, GMC, and Chevrolet models.

Does anyone have any insight on how to remedy this with GM? Has anyone attempted contacting GM directly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here. Went to a local shop and they said it was caused by a bad backup sensor (wasn’t clicking anymore). I pulled the bumper and replaced the one backup sensor that wasn’t making noise but that had nothing to do with the side warnings. It did get rid of the backup assist alert but side detect issues persist.

Did anyone get the part number off them for the 2014 GMC Terrain Denali? Are they the same for right and left rear?

I suspect our bad one is passenger rear. Thanks much.

GM dealer said they were “swollen” And both would need to be replaced. This required both right and left and new wire harness. They quoted just under $1,600

1 - 5 of 5 Posts